Pages

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Cebu Marathon 2012 (My First 42K): Pre-Race Day Jitters

Day 1: January 6, 2012

We (me, my wife Malou and my officemate Roy) arrived in Cebu City Pier 6 at around 8 PM. The Superferry 12 we boarded in Cagayan de Oro was supposed to leave at 9:45 AM but it departed at 12 noon making our travel delayed by more than 2 hours. From Pier 6, we walked our way to Sugbutel where we are booked for the night.   

Sunset in Superferry 12

After settling our baggage in our room, we went directly to Ayala Mall to get our race kits and attend the carbo loading party. However, the race expo was already closed when we arrived. According to the lady attendant, we could still go to the carbo loading but there is a fee of P180/person. We decided to ate dinner at Chowking where we spent less than 180 pesos each and stuffed ourselves with Chinese Fried Chicken and Wanton Noodles.


 Closing time

After eating, we went back to Sugbutel. Tired from the whole day of traveling (Malaybalay City-Cagayan de Oro-Cebu), we easily drifted into dreamland....zzzzzzzzzzz.

Day 2: January 7, 2012

After breakfast at Sugbutel's canteen, we rode a jeepney going to Sto. Niño Church. It was one week before the Sinulog Festival and the cathedral was packed with devotees as usual. It was during the mass when I felt a little pain in my left big toe. I just ignored it, thinking it would eventually subside.
After the mass, we went to the Magellan's Cross which is only walking distance from the Sto. Niño Church.

Me and Malou at the Magellan's Cross site

We went back to Sugbutel, checked out shortly before noon and then hailed a taxi to Metro Park Hotel in Lahug where we will be spending the night before the marathon. I chose this hotel due to its proximity to I.T. Park where the race will start and finish.

During our lunch at the nearby Mang Inasal outlet, I could feel the pain in my big toe getting worst. I started to worry that it might get aggravated. Aarggh! I tried to think positive and hope that the pain would soon subside. After lunch, we went back to Ayala Mall and claimed our race kits at the expo. I then attended the Skechers Go Run launch together with some Cebu bloggers. During the launch, I keep on thinking about my toe which still hurts. Fear started to creep inside my head and I became really worried that it might get worst and I wouldn't be able to run the next day.

After the launch, I bought a New Balance dry fit socks at Planet Sports. I know it's a big no-no to run with something new during the marathon. But since all my socks are made of cotton, I have to buy a new pair made of dry fit materials to prevent blisters which I often experienced on my long runs. I also bought a Habagat race cap and a cheap running shades for P200++ (hahaha!). We then went to the pharmacy where I bought 2 Alaxan FRs and one pack of Salonpas.

 L-R: Tina, Malou, Me, Roy and Dopax at Mooon Cafe in I.T. Park-Lahug

My Cebu-based college classmate Dopax and his wife Tina treated us to a dinner in Mooon Cafe at the I.T. Park. Before eating, I took one Alaxan FR and then asked the waiter for some ice. So while having our dinner, I kept on icing my left foot, hoping the pain would eventually disappear.

After our hearty dinner, my toe started to feel a little better. I thought  the Alaxan might have taken effect and the ice might have also numbed the pain. Though the pain is not completely gone, I could walk a lot better than I did the whole afternoon. 

After buying wheat bread and water at Mercury Drug, Dopax and Tina took us back to the Metro Park Hotel. In our room, we prepared the stuff we will be using for the big day. I then took a shower to relax my body. Before sleeping, I wrapped my left big toe (which swelled a bit, by the way) with two patches of Salonpas and prayed really hard that it would feel better the following day. I fell asleep at around 10:30 PM, or just about five and a half hours before the 2012 Cebu City Marathon gun start. (To be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment