Pages

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Mindanao Week of Peace Friendship Run (Malaybalay City)

Participants before the start of the race.

The 2011 Mindanao Week of Peace Friendship Run was one truly enjoyable fun run. It was held last December 4 in Malaybalay City with Start and Finish Line at the Freedom Park (officially called City Covered Court). What made this event unique from other fun run I have joined was its "team running" concept. There are no individual categories and participants must form their own respective teams and finish the race together.

Team categories of the Mindanao Week of Peace Friendship Run are as follows:

A. Kids-12 years old and below
3 runners (2 boys + 1 girl or 2 girls + 1 boy)

 B. Adult - 13 years old and above
5 runners (3 male + 2 female or 2 male + 3 female)

C. Open - Kids and Adult Runners
At least 4 runners (2 kids +1 or more female + 1 or more male)

 Team Pulaguy

We joined the adult category and my team mates include my wife Malou and my friends Liza, James and Calvin. 

After the opening program, the run started at around 6:30 AM. From the Freedom Park, we went up to national highway, turned left and headed towards Barangay Sumpong, turned left again to Suna Village, went to Malaybalay City Grandstand, back to national highway via Gille Street (formerly Claro Extension) and back to Freedom Park via Sebastian Street.






It was only a 3-kilometer run but we really had a great time running with family and friends. I guess it was the first time I joined a race where I did not bother to bring a watch to check my time and just focused on enjoying the run. With mu digicam on one hand, I took take some snapshots while running.

(Photo from Jun Lite)

I  went for an easy run and just paced with my team mate Calvin who joined his first fun run. We took walk breaks whenever he feels tired and then run again after he regained his strength. My team mates who went ahead waited for us a few meters before the finish line and we finished the race together with big smiles on our faces.


The Mindanao Week of Peace Friendship Run made me realized that you don't always have to win or break your own personal record to have a great run .  I look forward to running in more events like this in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment