Pages

Monday, November 28, 2011

Run United Cagayan de Oro: My PR Breaking 21K Run


It was another Personal Record breaking half-marahton run for me at the Run United Regional Series held in Cagayan de Oro City last Sunday, November 21, 2011. Employing a Run-Walk interval of 4:1 (4 minutes running followed by 1 minute of wak break) right from the start up to the last 2 kilometers, I managed to finish at 2:13:30 (official chip time). I really felt great because I achieved my goal of improving my previous 21K best of 2:17:07 which I attained during the National Milo Marathon also in Cagayan de Oro last October 16 this year.

It was the first time that the Run United Regional Series was held in Cagayan de Oro City and as announced before the race, around 400 runners signed up for the 21K categroy alone. Start/Finish line was at the parking area of Lim Ket Kai Center with the race route going to Barangay Agusan and back. There was a slight drizzle before the start of the race, good thing it did not turn into a downpour.

As expected, it was a well-organized race. The 21K run started promptly at 5:00 AM. Traffic was well-coordinated as half of the highway road was closed to vehicles to give way for runners to run undisturbed. Water stations were set up every 1.5 kilometers and aside from water, sponges and free- flowing Powerade also kept the runners hydrated. Kilometer markers were also installed, helping runners to monitor their pace and be aware of how many kilometers are still left before the turning point and finish line.  

The weather really cooperated that day as the sun did not go full blast until about the last 3 KM of my run. Because of the overcast skies, I am sure many runners also set or break their own Personal Records during the run.

This is me at the finish line. Thanks to Matet Quirino for this pic!

My 21K finisher's medal was handed out to me upon crossing the finish line. I then proceeded to the activity area to claim my Finisher's Shirt and giveaway bag. Inside the bag are water bottle, Powerade, mineral water, moisturizer, body scrub and supplements. Curiously, the baseball cap and powdered milk which were shown to me by the attendant at the RunRio registration area in Planet Sports were not part of the package.

 Giveaways

Race director Rio Dela Cruz was surprisingly not there to grace the event. However people from Unilab and Circle Productions kept the program lively. Health and wellness booths were set up in the activity area and we were able to avail of the free massage which really soothed our tired muscles. 


Unilab, Circle Productions and RunRio all did a great job in organizing the first Run United Regional series in Cagayan de Oro City. I heard lots of positive feedbacks from the participants and this early, many are already looking forward to another Run United next year.

 Wearing my 21K finisher's medal and shirt.

I am happy that I was able to improve my 21K time. Hard work, perseverance and long runs really paid off. Though I am still far from reaching a sub-2 time, I know I will get there eventually. I just have to take it one run at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment