Pages

Monday, June 6, 2011

The 2011 Cebu Marathon

The 2011 Cebu Marathon was actually the third organized run I have joined. Before this event, I ran 5K in a local fun run held in my hometown Malaybalay City, Bukidnon. Unfortunately I wasn't able to take photos of that particular run.

Together with my officemate and fellow running enthusiast, I flew to Cebu City to join the 2011 Cebu Marathon. My officemate registered for his first 21K run. I would have wanted to try 10K in this run but since there are only 5K, 21K and 42K events, I settled for another 5K run. Anyway, running was not my only agenda in going to Cebu that time. Since I'm also a travel blogger, I planned to explore some heritage sites in South Cebu after the run.

The 2011 Cebu Marathon was held last January 9, 2011. Registration fee is 500 pesos for 5K, 600 pesos for 21K and 800 pesos for 42K. Included in the registration fee are New Balance jersey shirt, race bib with timing chip and discount stubs to some running shops.

 The free New Balance running shirt


Starting/Finish line at the Asia Town I.T. Park in Lahug


Starting/finish line of the race is at the Asia Town I.T. Park in Lahug, Cebu City. Fireworks display kicked off the 42K and 21K events and all runs started on time. Since it was the week before Sinulog Festival, the atmosphere was festive all over. A live band playing Sinulog beats pumped up the runners at the starting line and there are also cheerers with placards along the streets. 

 A lively atmosphere as runners reached the finish line.

Freebie booths

I finished my 5K run in a little over 32 minutes. It is slower by two minutes compared to my Milo Marathon time. I think it is because at the start of the run, I had a hard time running my way out of the many runners who joined the 5K. And also, the route is mostly uphill going back to the finish line. Still I had a great time running through the streets and colors of Cebu. It was the best run I have joined so far and I'm looking forward to running again next year. Hopefully by that time, I already have the strength and endurance to run in the 21K. 

 The best part of the race...

2011 Cebu Marathon
Cebu City
January 9, 2011

Pros:
1. Very well-organized, started on time and traffic was controlled.
2. Online registration
3. Nice running shirt (New Balance brand)
4. Race bib with timing chip
5. Lots of freebies: tote bags, sports drinks, chocolate bars, fresh milk, sandwiches, photo souvenir, magazines and discounts to running shops
6. Updated website with official results and photos (www.cebumarathon.com)

Cons:
1. No certificates for finishers, though it is really not necessary.  

No comments:

Post a Comment